BIRDS OF EDEN | BIRD SANCTUARY
|Location||Plettenberg Bay, South Africa|
|Duration||Minimum 4 weeks (28 days)|
|Dates||All year around|
|Requirements||Minimum age 18|
|You must have an upper intermediate lever of English|
|Special skills : An honest desire to help animals and a true love for animals|
|Your impact||Element of tourism are added to this volunteer experience|
|This project is an linked to SAASA.ORG|
|The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (PBO Number 200/060 667/08), is the sole custodian of all the Jukani inhabitants.|
|The Jukani sanctuary funds itself by means of responsible eco-tourism and we strive to achieve an effective balance between conservation and economic reality.|
|This NGO depends on volunteers to assist them. Your work will make a real difference.|
|Day of Arrival||Sunday|
|Day of Departure||Sunday|
• You gain a great insight into these fascinating creatures in a natural habitat.
• You will be situated in the heart of the Garden Route.
• From the accommodation, you are transferred daily to the projects.
• The accommodation you will be hosted in is home to a local family who will assist you for weekend excursions
• There are a variety of activities to take part in after hours.
• 24-hour emergency assistance
• You’ll make new friends from all over the world.
Birds of Eden’s unique two-hectare dome (the World’s largest) spans over a gorge of indigenous forest. The sanctuary has its own mysterious ruin, which incorporates a walk-behind waterfall. Another feature is its amphitheatre, which has the ability to seat over 200 visitors. The decision to develop Birds of Eden stems from the need to create a safe environment in which to release a large collection of free-flight African birds and miniature monkeys. Birds of Eden also aim, where possible to offer pet bird owners the opportunity to free their birds into the sanctuary.
There is a protocol that must be followed and certain criteria that must be met. Birds of Eden opened its doors to the public in December 2005. We currently have over 3,500 birds live at the sanctuary.
The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (PBO Number 200/060 667/08), is the sole custodian of Birds of Eden.
The sanctuary provides the birds that live there with a stable environment. There is permanence and definitely no exploitation. The care they provided at this sanctuary exceeds the requirements of animal welfare regulations. Most importantly, the sanctuary is a place where birds are rehabilitated both physically and emotionally. It strives to achieve an effective balance between conservation and economic reality.
Volunteers need to work – Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 17:00. You assist the curator and bird keepers with their daily tasks, depending on your skills and experience.
What to bring
- A uniform will be provided BUT it is best to bring your own khaki-coloured clothin
- Outdoor brown or black shoes (only) for work, preferably with no bright colours. Waterproof boots are also highly recommended.
- The general colours are dark green, brown and khaki – if you have any warm clothing in this color-range (pending the season) it will be useful.
Please note that there is a non-negotiable deposit of ZAR 800.00 required for your volunteer uniform. This deposit is returned to you when you personally hand back your uniform.
There are no other special requirements in this regard but we recommend bringing the following:
- Pocket money
- Any specific medication you require
- Sunscreen and mosquito repellent
- Travelling clothing
- Reading books and/or laptop
- Any needed items of a personal nature, etc.
All these items (and anything else you might need) are readily available at local supermarkets in South Africa.
We welcome you to join us!